Liquor Licensing

Liquor Licensing

If you own and operate a business in NSW and you wish to sell alcohol, you will likely require a liquor licence.

In the State of NSW there are a number of different liquor licence types. The liquor licence you need depends on your specific circumstances. PDC Lawyers and Town Planners can assist you with advice as to the licence you require and then applying for a liquor licence. We are also skilled at preparing Community Impact Statements, where one is required to accompany your application for a liquor licence.

An Integrated Approach

Our team can work alongside you right at the start of your journey. Having regard to liquor licensing provisions at the start of your project can save you significant time and money. At PDC we are equipped to assist you with site selection, early consultation with local Councils, NSW Police and other stakeholders, Development Application preparation, lease or property purchase negotiations and liquor licensing.

Do you need a Community Impact Statement? In certain circumstances these can be avoided, but only if correct process is followed. This integrated approach is unique to PDC Lawyers and Town Planners.

Small Bar Licence

If your premises holds a limited number of patrons (no more than 120), no gaming machines and no sale of takeaway alcohol, you may be able to apply for a small bar licence. In certain circumstances, obtaining a small bar licence can be a relatively straight forward process.

Here at PDC, our aim is to make the process of obtaining a small bar license as streamlined as possible resulting in significant cost and time savings.

Microbreweries and Small Distilleries Licence

Microbreweries are increasing in popularity and a recent change to NSW Planning legislation has made it easier to obtain development consent for the establishment of these places in zones where previously it wasn’t previously possible. In certain Local Government Areas, it is now possible to establish Artisan Food and Drink Premises (i.e. microbreweries and the like) in industrial and rural areas in addition to commercially zoned places.

With respect to licencing, the NSW Government has recently initiated a special drink on premises authorisation for small scale producers of beer, cider and spirits.

This licence type authorises business owners to sell products they make for consumption on premises (i.e. within the brewery) and in full serves, not just as tastings to up to 120 people on the proviso food is available.

If your passion is brewing and your new business depends on this being your focus, you should consider hiring the services of PDC Lawyers and Town Planners. Setting up a new microbrewery should be a fulfilling, rewarding and creative process. Suffering setbacks as a result of getting paperwork wrong isn't going to make anyone happy, and, making mistakes can be costly. Call us today for a discussion concerning your proposal. We would be pleased to assist.

On-Premises Licence

An on-premises licence authorises the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises when another product or service is provided to customers including food, entertainment or accommodation.

All restaurants holding an on-premises licence need to meet certain criteria relating to the availability of varied food options, food menus, venue setup and the like. It is also possible to extend an on-premises licence to allow for the service of alcohol without accompanying food by obtaining a primary service authorisation.

These applications can require the submission of a Community Impact Statement. PDC can do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to preparation of Community Impact Statements.

Hotel Licence

A hotel licence allows for the sale of alcohol to the public for consumption on the premises (i.e. within a pub) and the sale of takeaway alcohol.

Types of businesses that use this licence include, pubs, accommodation hotels and larger bars capable of hosting over 120 people.

PDC can assist with all aspects of hotel licensing.

General Bar Licence

A general bar licence is a type of hotel licence. The purpose of the licence is to sell alcohol to the public for consumption on the premises.

The general bar licence enables business operators to operate dining facilities, provide accommodation and public entertainment.

However the licence provides no authorisation for the sale of takeaway alcohol, the operation of gaming machines, keno or wagering.

PDC can assist with all aspects of general bar licensing.

Community Impact Statements

A Community Impact Statement is a document that outlines important information that enables Liquor and Gaming NSW to assess the potential impact of licenced premises on a neighbourhood.

A Community Impact Statements is typically required to accompany the following applications:

- Hotel licence

- General bar licence

- Packaged liquor licence: including bottle shops and online sales

- Nightclub licence: on-premises

- Registered club licence

- Small bar licences (in certain circumstances)

Our team of qualified Lawyers and Town Planners work together when it comes to preparing Community Impact Statement documentation. Getting the process wrong can cause significant delays with respect to getting your new business up and running. If you require assistance with respect to preparing a Community Impact Statement, don't hesitate to call us.

Lease, Purchase or Sale of Licensed Premises

Here at PDC Lawyers and Town Planners, transactional legal work is something we do daily. For the sale and transfer of a licensed premises, special consideration needs to be given to a range of additional matters including transfer of liquor licence, compliance issues and mortgagee security. These all require tailored contract provisions that we are well placed to draft and advise on.

Compliance Matters

In the unfortunate event that you need to respond to compliance, disciplinary action, or an application to impose new restrictions on your liquor license, we can represent, advise and assist you throughout the process of resolving the matter.